09 December 2013

DIY Duct Tape Stocking

I love this time of year. It's been a little too busy the past week, but our days and nights have been filled with such enjoyable things that I really can't complain.

Last Friday night we went to a Christmas party with our adoption agency. The guests were all families that have been touched by adoption from Africa--whether their kids are already home or like us, they are in process. There were about six or seven families who attended...and lots of kids of many colors. I can't explain how much it affected me to see all the children playing and laughing and running and shrieking. Black skin, brown skin, tan skin, and lilly white skin. I can't speak for the other children, but our little Jack-Jack wasn't fazed one bit by all the cultures and ethnicities represented. All he knew was that there were kids, there were cookies, and there was fun. When the evening came to an end, he didn't want to leave.

A little glimpse of heaven right here on earth.

Yesterday it started snowing while we were in church, and it didn't end until after I went to bed. Thankfully it was a light snow, so total accumulation was just a few inches. Enough to cover the grass and to give Ken a snow-blower induced workout. So thankful for Ken. I threw out my back a week ago, and it still isn't 100 percent.

So, on to the DIY Duct Tape Stockings. So many people, like my husband, have found the joy of using duct tape for all sorts of little projects. You can buy duct tape in just about any color and pattern, and I think Ken has most of them.

Last year I decided to get new Christmas stockings for all of us that reflect something about our personality. I found a stocking for Jackson online that features his beloved Winnie the Pooh. (Thankfully he is even more in love with Pooh this year than he was last year!)

For myself, I bought a stocking with a cardinal. I've become so taken with these lovely birds, and I think they are a perfect decoration for Christmas with their bright red coloring.


I wanted to get a duct tape stocking for Ken, but I couldn't find anything to my liking. That's when I decided to do it myself. Sadly, I was not on Pinterest at the time, so I didn't take any pictures to document the process, but let me tell you about it. It was easy-peasy.

Supplies
  • An old, ugly, cheap, or unused stocking, preferably with fold-down fur trim at the top. You can buy these super cheap at most stores.
  • Duct tape for main part of stocking.
  • Accent duct tape, if desired.



The great thing about working with duct tape is that you don't need any other adhesive such as a  gun or super glue or even a sewing machine.

1. Flip the fur collar up. You will use this to cover the rough edges at the top.
2. Start wrapping the stocking in strips of duct tape, slightly overlapping each strip. You may need to angle some pieces as you get to the bottom, curved area.
3. Make your "seams" or stopping points on the backside, which is hidden from view.
4. When the whole stocking is covered, fold the fur collar down.
5. Add any accent tape. I used a Dallas Cowboy star for my Texas-born husband. I love that it also seems Christmasy.
6. Add the person's name with glitter glue on the collar. I wish I had done it in chalk first because it came out a little lopsided, but I don't think he noticed. :)

 



If you make one, please share a picture with me!

Happy Stockings!

Luann

No comments:

Post a Comment