03 December 2013

Advent Calender

As a kid, one of my favorite parts of the holiday season was receiving our annual Advent Calender from our Sunday School teacher. It was a paper/cardboard construction, about 8"x12". It was usually a nativity scene, and it had 25 little windows that opened, each revealing an even better picture.

Today, most of the Advent Calenders sold have become "Countdown to Christmas" calendars. And while I love Santa as much as the next person, I also want my son to understand and embrace the true meaning of Christmas. I also don't want him eating chocolate every day. (They come with chocolate now! Who knew?)

[As a side note, I was so disappointed when I realized Micheal's Craft store as well as our local Target  don't have a darn thing in their Christmas section that has to do with Jesus. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Seriously. Look the next time you're there. As I said, I'm not against secular traditions--my child will sit on Santa's lap and probably leave him some cookies, but it feels like Jesus is being shut out of his own birthday celebration. OK, will now descend from soapbox.]

So, being a newly minted Pinterest person, I turned to my new source (addiction?) for all things creative. I took several ideas and combined them to come up with a rustic/chic/sacred Advent Calender.

Here's how I made it.

First, I bought wide burlap ribbon rolls in three designs. At Michael's. I know, I know. I should probably shop elsewhere since they apparently don't like Jesus, but let's be honest: Me not shopping there only punishes me. And I will use their secular decorations for faith-driven purposes. Sneaky on my part, right?

So, I cut the ribbon in strips about 12 inches long. I folded them over, lining up the "flap" so the snowflake pattern would retain the snowflake shape, and pinned them in place.


I stitched up the sides to create a pocket, and also stitched up any unfinished edges as burlap tends to easily unravel. I used a zig-zag stitch to secure the jute fibers.

Then I added some embellishments. I like the combo of the rustic burlap combined with lacey lace and glittery buttons. Note: The buttons are decorative only. While I did sew them on to secure them, I didn't make a button hole. Please people. I've only been sewing for about a month, and the one time I tried to do a buttonhole....well, let's just say total disaster. Thread bunched up, needle broke, fabric seriously messed up. Anyway...


Next I added green ribbon tabs on which I had written numbers, 1-25. I sewed them on the back. Maybe I did this before sewing the sides. I can't remember. This has been a long project.

Finally, I strung the daily pockets on a long piece of white lace and strung them on our stair railing. I bought this lace at Hobby Lobby. They, apparently, love Jesus. But not birth control for the masses. But let's not get political. This is supposed to be a feel-good blog.


Now comes the most important part. I filled each pocket with a printed out Bible verse. I used this list that I stole off Pinterest. I'd give credit, but the link didn't go anywhere. Note: Some of the passages are really long. I used them anyway. Jack has a hard time sitting through the reading, but someday they will be more meaningful to him. (Yes, I'm planning on using this for a lot of years. This was way too much work for one year's use!)





Note, if you want to see the actual verses printed out, I have a Word doc I can email to you so you don't have to look up each one, copy, paste, etc. They are in the New Living Translation.

Then, the exciting part! Each pocket also has a thimble sized piece to a Nativity set. I bought set of 16 at Hobby Lobby, and supplemented the other 9 days with various trees, animals, etc. I found a small creche at Walmart that was the perfect size, but it already had a Mary and Joseph and Jesus in it. Glued in it. But for $6, I was more than willing to have my husband wrestle them out of their comfy creche.

We totally could've made the creche with some spare wood, but it was November 30, and we couldn't start the process without the stable...and finding the wood, the nails, the materials...wasn't going to happen.

So, each day before bed we open a pocket, read the verse, and little Jack-Jack gets to add a piece to his Nativity set. So far he has a sheep and a cow. We'll save Jesus for the 25th of course, but Mary and Joe will arrive a few days earlier.



Since my two-year-old has inherited my strong sense of nosiness, I mean curiosity, I put the actual figurine in the pocket right before we open it. :)







Happy Advent!

Luann

PS: Here is one of my favorite Advent hymns, written by Charles Wesley in the 1700s. It's still so relevant today.


1. Come, thou long expected Jesus, 
 born to set thy people free; 
 from our fears and sins release us, 
 let us find our rest in thee.  
 Israel's strength and consolation, 
 hope of all the earth thou art; 
 dear desire of every nation, 
 joy of every longing heart.

2. Born thy people to deliver, 
 born a child and yet a King, 
 born to reign in us forever, 
 now thy gracious kingdom bring. 
 By thine own eternal spirit 
 rule in all our hearts alone; 
 by thine all sufficient merit, 
 raise us to thy glorious throne.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, adorable! What a great way to show your boy the real meaning of Advent and the coming Messiah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful way to illustrate the real meaning of Jesus' Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete