04 December 2013

Bulbous Wreath. Because it's fun to say "bulbous."

Growing up, my mom often hung blue lights for Christmas. I really liked the peacefulness of the blue lights, and now I try to include blue in my Christmas decorations.

These wreaths have been popping up all over Pinterest as well as retail stores, and I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to go blue. They sell for anywhere from $30 to $100 retail, and I made mine for about $15.

Supplies Needed
14" grapevine wreath
hot glue gun and lots of glue sticks
150 Christmas bulbs in various sizes and colors of your choice


I got most of my bulbs at the Dollar Tree, my sister's favorite store. (Don't tell her I said that; she'll be mad at me.) I got the miniature colored ones and the wreath at Hobby Lobby, both for half off.


Honestly, shopping for the supplies took longer than making the wreath. It was easy-peasy. The hardest part was using my cheapo glue gun. I have a callous on my pointer finger from pulling the impossible trigger. Poor me.



Start by turning your wreath upside down. Tie a small ribbon around the top so you can hang it.

Then, glue your largest ornaments around the inside of the wreath. If the ornament holder is one that pops out, pop it out. Otherwise you can leave it in, just make sure that either way it's pointing toward the back of the wreath. To increase stability, I glued them to both the wreath and to each other. It was a spidery web mess of glue gun gunk, but I don't want it to fall apart.

Then glue bulbs around the outside. I spaced these out a bit more than I should have, but I was running out of large bulbs. That is, until I called my favorite sister and she stopped by her favorite store on the way home from work and picked up some more high-quality bulbs for me. I filled in with the extra bulbs later, but it was much harder than if I'd done it earlier. I blame some other blog...I can't remember which one. She said you need at least 100 bulbs. Ha! 150 is more like it. But maybe my wreath is more bulbous than hers.


Anyway, back to the process. So next turn the wreath over and start filling in the empty spots using the largest ornaments first, then the mediums, and finally the small. Yes, I put my bulbs in various mixing bowls according to size, because I'm weird like that.


Pretty soon, you have a beautiful, bulbous wreath. Hang it up using the ribbon you tied on, and ta-da! You're done.

If you make one, be sure to take a picture and share it with me!





By the way, don't you love my mini-Christmas village? It was my mom's, and this is the first year since her passing that I've displayed it. :)

Happy Wreathing!

Luann




1 comment:

  1. Oh, it turned out so cute! I never knew you were so crafty (well, in this sense, anyway...). :-)

    ReplyDelete