13 March 2014

March 13, 2014

I have wanted to blog the past few weeks, but too often I've felt as though I shouldn't blog unless I have something profound, interesting, or insightful to share. And life just keeps rolling along--sometimes at break-neck speeds--and profound moments and thoughts are rare. 

And then I remind myself that the blogs I enjoy most are not really all that profound. They are stories of the writer's life. They are pictures of everyday happenings. And I have a lot of those. 

There is also a certain pressure when you write and edit for a living to string together words in beautiful sequences. To make words dance on the page. 

I read blogs written by people I don't know--people whose names will never find their names on a book cover--and I'm amazed at their ability to express themselves. They use the same 1,025,109.8 words in the English language as I do, but their combination of words and phrases seem so much more enchanting than my own.

[In case you're wondering, I just googled "How many words are in the English language?" I'm such a dork. According to the Global Language Monitor, that one-million-something number is the count as of January 1 of this year. But it's really hard to keep count because a new word is created every 98 minutes. Also, do you count plurals as a new word? What if the word has multiple meanings? etc.]

Anyway, I probably need to let go of the expectations I place on myself and just write. Create a log of life for our family--which was the original motivation behind this blog.

So here's what we've been up to...

I posted a picture recently of some little friends that spent a few days at our house. Here are some more. They spent many hours building extensive train track systems that traveled throughout our home.




It was the weekend of March 1st, so we created lions and lambs to go with the saying that March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. We've had about another 10 inches of snow since March began, so I'm hoping and praying that saying proves true.


This was an easy project and fairly fun for the little ones. (The oldest got a little bored.) We used paper plates, strips of construction paper, cotton balls, crayons, and lots of glue.


This is what it was *supposed* to look like. (Found the pic on Pinterest of course.) I thought they did pretty good considering we had a limited supply of cotton balls and artistic direction (ie me).


We also had a brief discussion about how the Bible says someday the lions and lambs will lie down together, without the lion devouring the lamb. But I had to keep it brief because a biblical scholar I am not.

To encourage good behavior, we had a little sticker competition. I let the kids come up with the rules, but I summarized some of them. We didn't have room for No Punching, No Pinching, and No Kicking, so we grouped those under "No Mean Touches."


They were a silly group. I wish this picture wasn't blurry, because it summed up the weekend so well.


Horsey rides were also on the agenda. At times with multiple riders and/or equestrian combinations.

I love the pic below. It was Saturday morning and they were all vegging out, watching TV. Little Ransom was sound asleep on a crib mattress in the middle of the floor. The area rug is covered in a giant quilt because the night before they were snacking on the floor, and Cheetos are ... well, cheesy. And orange. On little fingers, of which there were 40. That's a recipe for orange carpeting, which wouldn't match well with my blue and ivory-themed living room.


We've also spent a lot of time with our friends Alex and Claire. Their mom (Heather) and I do a babysitting swap twice a week. She usually takes the kids on Monday mornings while I work or run errands, and I take them on Friday mornings. We hang out at Heather's house because her twins are a bit younger (almost 2), so her house is still baby safe and ours is slowly getting to a non-safe-baby-state as Jack gets older.

Alex, with his bright blue eyes, is quite the ham. He and Jack love wrestling and chasing each other.



I made a fort under their little Dora table, but they were still pretty captivated by whatever was on the TV.

Ken says Jack looks like Bono with the pink sunglasses. I'm not sure about that, but it still amused me.


Oops, how was I supposed to know they aren't supposed to climb on top of the table? They seemed quite agile and experienced with their acrobatics. (Sorry, Heather.)

Claire wears these adorable pink glitter slippers, and when she sat atop the table (again, my apologies Heather), the angle made her feet look enormous. :)

It was a snowy day outside, and I love the background scenery out their windows. (Not sure he's supposed to stand and jump off the chair either, but oh the fun they had!)


Jack enjoyed the "fort," mostly because he could take the toys he likes in there and not be bothered by the other kids trying to swipe them. "Swiper, no swiping!"

They play so sweetly together (most of the time), and I am forever in pursuit of a cute picture with all three of them. But this is how my pre-positioned shots always end up.

On Monday it reached 50 degrees, a welcome respite after a long, cold winter. I asked Heather if she wanted to take the kids to the park with me, and she readily agreed. Silly me...I forgot that the park would be covered in snow, so poor Jack was only wearing his tennis shoes. With about 8 inches of snow on the ground in shady areas, the poor boy had some very wet feet. We only ended up staying about 10 minutes at the park, but I had to take some pics of Claire. Her yellow hat and pinkish jacket, combined with the blue of her eyes and the blue of the sky, were perfect for photos. 

Seriously, have you ever seen anything so cute?




I also took pictures of the boys, but in their army green and navy blue jackets, their pictures did not turn our nearly as cute. So I won't bore you.

Sunday morning, as I was dressing Jackson for church, I was struck with how darn adorable he is. I am biased, I know, but for real. He is almost perfect. I enticed him to pose for pictures by telling him he could jump on our new couch. It worked!




Yes, he really is that skinny. Don't worry, he's perfectly healthy and in the normal weight range for his age. He's just tall...so the fat gets spread out vertically. [Sigh] I remember being that skinny. I used to be so embarrassed by my ribs sticking through. Silly me. What I wouldn't give to get a glimpse of those ribs today!




If you think I'm a little obsessed with this boy of mine, you would be correct.

I'm also a little obsessed with the beauty of snow. Like most Chicagoans, I wasn't exactly thrilled when the weather forecasts called for MORE snow. People. It's March for crying out loud! Isn't the time of year that crocuses and daffodils are supposed to be popping up?

But despite my despair over the white stuff, the good news is that it's beautiful and it won't last long now that spring is a mere 7 days away. And really, have you ever seen such magnificent artwork? I'm in awe of the Artist.









I'm still taking a break from Facebook, but this will post automatically so feel free to leave your comments and they will be emailed to me.

Speaking of which...I haven't been perfect about my fast from Facebook, but it's been going pretty well. I gave myself a special dispensation to check the news on a friend whose baby was dying and another who is having a surprise pregnancy. But all in all, it's been going pretty well. I miss you all and your news and funnies and photos, but it's been a sweet time away.

Love to you all~

Luann

10 comments:

  1. I love the "all about your daily life" posts; and the kids are absolutely adorable. You're reminding me I really should start blogging again myself... because I've used all the excuses you had, too! :)

    Cheryl
    AKA "Shirlann"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should start posting again, Shirlann! I miss your posts!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting even when you didn't feel you had anything profound - this post made me smile (I loved seeing the kids and the beautiful snow pictures) and gave me good ideas for indoor crafts as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! Glad it made you smile. Do you have snow where you live? I can't remember where all the Pallock girls ended up!

      Delete
  3. What a great way to capture some snapshots of everyday life. So much joy packed in there! I adore the picture of Jack, Alex, and Claire in a group hug. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! J, A, and C are so blessed to have you in their little lives. :)

      Delete
  4. Always love to read your posts, Luann! I love the pictures of the kids...I sure see a lot of "Yarrow" in Jack. :) And I love the pictures of our recent snow. My backyard resembled yours but I decided I had taken enough pictures this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind, Grace! You're right--Jack does resemble the Yarrows. But my husband also has a lot of the same mannerisms of my dad (weird, right?), and Jack has a lot of that in him, too!
      There sure have been plenty of opportunities for snow this winter!

      Delete
  5. These were beautiful pictures Luann. You seem to have a storybook/narrative style to your writing. It's very engaging and enjoyable to read. Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Regina. Glad you enjoyed the blog.

      Delete