10 April 2011

Crying is Permitted

That's what the sign says. I noticed it this morning at church. Jack had a small meltdown during the service, so we left our seats and went to the soundproof "Baby and Family Room."

The sign reads:
This room is reserved for families with small children.  
Crying is permitted.  
All others are welcome in this room as well.

I've been thinking about it all day. Crying isn't encouraged in our society. Tolerated at times, but  not "permitted" per se.

Maybe it should be.

My son cries. A lot. I think he may have colic, although he hasn't been officially diagnosed. Or maybe he's just a fussy baby. But whatever the case, he's in touch with his emotions.

We'd probably all be happier if we occasionally allowed ourselves a good cry...and if we permitted others to cry as well.

Crying is a sign that something is wrong. And let's be honest--there is much wrong in our lives, and there's plenty to cry about. My pastor says that grief can be an act of worship. It's a declaration that sin is in the world, and it's not the way it's supposed to be. It's a heart-felt cry for Jesus' return--for a place where there will be no more pain, no more suffering ... and no more crying.







4 comments:

  1. Love the post. Yeah, he's definitely in touch with his emotions. Whether it's "Feed Me!" or "I'm Wet!" or "I'm Tired!", he lets us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to use the football hold. Do you need a refresher? I'll bring the Pollo Tropical...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so broken when my mother died (1984) that I just cried and cried and cried. Since then, I can hardly cry, even though at times I hurt. I can probably count the times I have cried since 1984, but since I hold it it for decades, when I do cry it hurts like crazy...physically HURTS!!! I truly am sad, even though I am at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that little face! His brow is all furrowy. I'm sorry for you and for him that your boy cries a lot, but I love your reflections! So true!

    ReplyDelete