01 February 2011

the next BIG thing

Today I had my weekly OB appointment. I have three weeks to go until my due date, and I was certain I'd be dilated...at least 1 centimeter, right?! I guess every pregnant woman expects to go early--probably wishful thinking combined with a feeling that her body is completely maxed out.

But I wasn't dilated a bit! The doctor said the baby is considered full-term at this point, so he gave me a couple homework exercises I could do if I want to move things along--including drinking raspberry juice (who knew?) and some acupressure points to rub that are supposed to help bring on labor.

While I confess I did stop at Target and get some raspberry lemonade, I am really not in any big hurry to have the baby. Yes, I am uncomfortable. Yes, I am excited to meet this child of mine. But I'm trying to enjoy the moment. Once that boy comes out, there's no going back in.

Many years of my life have been spent looking forward to the next big thing. I think it's common to the human condition. When we're in school we look forward to summertime. As summertime boredom sets in, we look forward to a new school year. We look forward to leaving our parents' house and going to college. We want to find the love of our life and get married. We anxiously await a  +  sign on that blue stick. Then we're waiting for the baby to arrive. Then we're waiting for the baby to go to school. Oh, and did I mention buying a house with a yard and a white picket fence? Getting the better paying job? The long-awaited vacation?

Too often I've bartered the enjoyment of today for the expectation of what's ahead. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to love today. I want to be all here, right now, in this moment, savoring this breath.

That's not to say I don't look to the future. I keep the window open an inch or two because I know God has wonderful opportunities ahead. I want to feel the breeze of anticipation. I can't wait to see what He will do.

But for now, I will delight in that breeze ... only while I soak up the sunshine of today.

4 comments:

  1. So true, Lu! Maybe "Give us today our daily bread" applies to joy too. Meanwhile, enjoy the raspberry lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're so right. We're always looking toward, or for, the next big thing -- what Tennesse Williams called 'the long expected, but always delay something that we hope for.' That isn't the exact quote, but it's close.

    Being in the moment, appreciating the day -- it's so important. I've been thinking about that some, lately -- and it's a good lesson.

    I'm glad that you're doing well -- and your baby. :) ~Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. People tell me "your time with the kids goes by so fast. They'll be out on their own before you know it." I think waiting for the next big thing, as you talked about, has something to do with it. Good to know my baby is enjoying everyday as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great perspective. I guess I'll savor these moments in the snowstorms and stop longing for the summer. (But I'll still long for heaven). :)

    ReplyDelete