18 January 2011

Getting Organized

I woke up at 2:30 am this morning and realized I had dropped the ball on a project that was supposed to have been edited by 9 am yesterday morning. It was just a tiny one, but nonetheless, it somehow fell off the radar screen.

So at 2:30 am, I was contemplating how to get better organized. I know life is only going to get busier in the days ahead, and I need a system. Being your own boss is great, but when you have multiple clients you have a lot of balls in the air. And unfortunately, one of the first things to go when I get stressed is my memory. So I need to get better about making lists, charts, and such, and sticking to a schedule.

I've been thinking a lot about Facebook. In my weaker moments, I blame it for all my organization problems. I can take a quick looksie on FB and suddenly I realize the looksie has turned into 45 minutes. It has been great to reconnect with old friends and network professionally, but overall, it has also been a huge time waster. I contemplate leaving FB altogether, limiting my time on it, or doing something to be more disciplined, but I'm just not sure what the answer is.

One thing I know right now: I have a doctor's appt this morning, physical therapy this afternoon, multiple freelance projects I need to get hopping on, my own dog to feed and walk, my neighbor's dog to walk, and several loads of laundry to wash. Did I mention that my hubby's alarm never went off this morning and he woke up 1 hour late? Somehow we still managed to push him out the door in time for work. We're off to a successful, albeit crazy start to the day. Let's hope that continues.

Ciao for now...

1 comment:

  1. One of my friends from college recently shut down her facebook page, and it made me sad. While I know that it's a time blackhole, it was always nice to know how she was doing -- especially during busy times when neither of us had time to sit down and talk.

    Plus, it's a place to be connected to a lot of people that you love, care about, or like.

    That aside, good luck with all your projects today -- and good luck at the doctor's! I hope you have a most excellent appointment. :-) ~Ali

    ReplyDelete